ACPC Marcella Kochańska Sembrich
Vocal Competition 2021
We are pleased to announce that applications are now being accepted for the ACPC Marcella Kochańska Sembrich Vocal Competition 2021. Like last year, the competition is being conducted online. Acceptable recordings should be a fair representation of the participantís abilities, but need not be of professional quality. A prerecorded piano accompaniment may be used due to the social distancing guidelines in place due to the coronavirus pandemic. We can put you in contact with a pianist if you don't have an accompanist available. The deadline for submissions is May 31, 2021.
While the situation with the coronavirus pandemic is still uncertain, there are encouraging signs that things are improving to the point that we are making tentative plans for the ACPC Convention in the fall of this year in Washington, DC, at which the competition winner will perform a concert. In the event that the convention is not held this year, a virtual concert will be arranged for the winner.
Marcella Kochańska Sembrich (1858-1935) was a Polish coloratura soprano with a long career at the Metropolitan Opera in New York, after which she taught at Curtis Institute and Juilliard School of Music.
This year marks the 50th Anniversary of the ACPC Marcella Sembrich Award, which was established to support the career development of a young singer of Polish descent. The first award was given in 1954, but the tradition of an annual competition did not start until 1971. The previous year, a gift was presented to the American Council of Polish Cultural Clubs (as the ACPC was formerly known) by admirers of Mme Sembrich, to be used for an award to a talented vocalist, male or female. At the 1970 ACPCC Convention in Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania, at Alliance College, the decision was made to present an annual Marcella Sembrich Vocal Award to a singer from the area in which the convention was being held. This has changed with time and now the award recipients are selected from among candidates throughout the United States by the ACPC Music Committee.
Application deadline: May 31, 2021
Application fee: None
Eligibility:1. Contestant must be of Polish descent, a United States citizen or a permanent resident.Requirements:
2. The competition is open to singers up to the age of 35 who are not under professional management.
1. Each contestant must submit the following:- A completed application form with required enclosures.
- Acceptable recordings should be a fair representation of the contestantís abilities, but need not be of professional quality. A prerecorded piano accompaniment may be used to observe social distancing guidelines due to the coronavirus pandemic. We can put you in contact with a pianist if you don't have one available
2. Sketch of family tree demonstrating Polish heritage.
3. Applications with enclosures must be received by May 31, 2021.
4. Scheduling of the competition winner's recital will be decided later.
(Application Form - see attached) (Poster - see attached)
Send application and attachments to: email@example.com
Questions may be sent to the above e-mail address.